IPG Mediabrands Case Study
Team work to achieve a sustainable organisation
Net savings of £280,000 achieved through utility and road travel efficiency measures
Green Element are experts in their field, and the team go above and beyond to help us meet our targets and report effectively and accurately. A true partner, they feel like an extension of our team, and it’s this close working relationship that is so valuable to our business.
Creative Director EMEA, Mediabrands
IPG Mediabrands was founded by Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG) in 2007 to manage all of its global media-related assets. Mediabrands are a group of 13,000 media and marketing specialists in over 130 countries.
Mediabrand’s objectives are to:
- Consolidate and enhance improvements and operational efficiency.
- Improve financial performance through efficiency measures in Environmental Performance Indicators including energy management.
- Ensure successful completion of disclosure requirements for the client tenders.
- Achieve fully audited environmental accreditation in line with parent organisation and client requirements.
- Achieve employee buy-in for environmental principles and behaviour change.
- Work around limited scope for heating and cooling energy savings due to a number of constrains and features of the company’s office building.
- Achieve savings with low – to no-cost strategies, i.e. minimal initial outlay.
Green Element Approach
- Manage external audit for full accreditation to the internationally certified ISO 14001 Environmental Management System.
- Conduct energy and lighting surveys producing inventories with fully-costed energy efficiency recommendations.
- Conduct waste audit and ensure remediation of non-compliance issues.
- Achieve employee buy-in through on-site presence and engaging employees in behaviour change and awareness campaigns, including design of signage and consultations.
- Tailor energy saving strategy to the office working style and hours and adopt a pragmatic approach to activities.
- Increased revenues through reduced costs.
- Reduced damage to natural environment.
- Consolidated market position by raising barriers for competition or meeting customer expectations.
- Opened new markets – improved opportunities to tender
Better control of environmental liabilities.
- Reduced liabilities passed through to customers.
- Reduced regulatory burden – less money risked on fines
Environment considered in strategy.
- Business excellence – increased investment appeal.
- Staff are more likely to work for a company with a strong “CSR” policy.
From 2014 until 2019, Mediabrands market-based carbon footprint per capita decreased by 72% per person. A a phenomenal achievement accomplished by changing to renewably sourced electricity, increasing the recycling rate and reducing overall consumption. A total saving of 10,741 Kg per person of CO2 that was achieved through a team work effort.